Neuromuscular treatment brings TMJ comfort to patients in San Diego
The National Institute of Dental and Craniofacial Research estimates over ten million Americans are affected by TMJ disorders. This imbalance of the jaw joints can trigger symptoms ranging from uncomfortable to debilitating. Dr. Al A. Fallah provides nonsurgical TMJ treatment for patients in the San Diego area.
“Neuromuscular” simply refers to both nerves and muscles. Temporomandibular joints are the hinges on either side of the head, just in front of the ears, that attach your jaw to your skull. Many joints in the body allow movement in just one direction. Because the jaw needs to move up and down, side to side, and forward and back, TMJs are quite complex. They are connected to a network of nerve receptors and muscles that control jaw movement. When this delicate “machinery” is out of balance, the impact is felt throughout the mouth, head, and body.
Dr. Fallah has specialized training and experience in treating TMJ disorders without surgery. His studies include attaining the Master level at the International College of Cranio-mandibular Orthopedics.
Your physiology, lifestyle, and stressors are unique. Dr. Fallah applies his knowledge to evaluate your condition and design a customized treatment plan. It may include a combination of techniques such as:
- An oral appliance to re-balance the bite.
- Adjusting the shape of teeth to address jaw displacement, by contouring, use of dental bonding, or crowns.
- Replacement of missing teeth with dental implants, a fixed bridge, or a partial denture.
- Advice on soothing home therapies and lifestyle adjustments to relieve inflammation and reduce stress on jaw joints.
If you have a TMJ disorder, the two most important points to remember are:
- Surgery is not your only option.
- You are not alone.
Call 760-576-2779 to schedule a consultation to learn more about the benefits of neuromuscular treatment.