Biological Therapies In Dentistry Are Available In Carlsbad, Ca
“Biological” simply means related to living organisms, and “therapy” is any treatment intended to heal a disorder. Since the mouth is inherently part of the living organism that is your body, the concept of biological therapies makes a great deal of sense in keeping the mouth and body in sync. Patients from Irvine to San Diego trust Dr. Al A. Fallah in Carlsbad, CA for this insightful approach to dentistry.
HARNESSING THE NATURAL POWER OF OXYGEN
Oxygen is the life-supporting element in air. Ozone is a gas occurring naturally in the earth’s atmosphere, comprised of three atoms of oxygen per ozone molecule. Trioxygen is sometimes called “excited oxygen” because the third atom makes the molecule unstable. When ozone collides with oxygen, the merging molecules try to expel the extra atom. A chemical reaction occurs in this transition, which can be highly beneficial in dentistry.
Cells of normal, healthy tissues in human anatomy are unphased by the oxidative process. However, bacteria, fungi, and viruses have different cell structures. Oxidation breeches their cell walls, destroying these organisms. That makes ozone a powerful enemy of disease-causing pathogens, yet extremely safe for humans.
Dr. Fallah uses ozone in a gaseous form, and infused in water or an oil carrier, for dentistry procedures such as:
- Teeth cleaning – Ozone kills harmful bacteria on tooth surfaces.
- Gum disease treatment – Ozone can be gently directed beneath the gum line to fight periodontal disease and increase blood flow to soft tissues.
- Restorations – After areas of decay or damage are removed, a tooth can be disinfected with ozone before a filling, inlay, onlay, or crown is placed. The disinfected surface is less likely to develop decay beneath the restoration from lingering bacteria.
- Oral surgeries – Infection control is supremely important in prompt healing from extractions, effective treatment of cavitations, and the long-term success of dental implants. Ozone therapy can be a beneficial step in these procedures.
Ozone therapy is a completely natural form of sterilization. Unlike harsh chemical disinfectants, ozone does not place a toxic load on the body, injure tissues, or cause side effects. Rather, it promotes healthy cellular regeneration.
UTILIZING YOUR BODY’S OWN RESOURCES FOR HEALING
Platelets are tiny cells in the blood. They are instrumental in clotting. They also contain robust growth factors that help bodily tissues mend after an injury. Platelet-rich fibrin or PRF is a concentration of platelets processed from a small sample of your own blood, bound within a fibrin matrix.
Placing a small amount of PRF in the socket left by a dental extraction helps to preserve bone. A PRF membrane can be used to support the soft tissue wound, as well, for speedier healing with reduced risk of dry socket.
These techniques are collectively known as guided bone and tissue regeneration. Dr. Fallah utilizes PRF in a similar manner for sinus lift – raising the floor of the maxillary sinus for bone grafting to enable the placement of a dental implant.
PRF is an invaluable tool in periodontal regeneration – restoring gums to a healthier state after diseased tissue has been removed.
Since PRF is autologous (derived from your own body), there is no risk of rejection or allergic reaction with this biological therapy.
BUILDING A HEALTHY FOUNDATION
There is often a common thread among people who suffer from TMJ discomfort, bruxism, obstructive sleep apnea, headaches or migraines, or neck and back problems – improper oral development. When the maxilla (upper jaw) is narrow or underdeveloped, the mandible (lower jaw) is forced to move out of alignment so that teeth can meet for chewing. This malocclusion constricts the airway and places unusual strain on joints.
Using neuromuscular orthodontic techniques, Dr. Fallah expands the palate and cranial bones, improving bite problems that cause physical discomfort, and allowing more attractive alignment of teeth. This therapy is a healthy, biological alternative to extractions or modification of tooth structure (such as crowns or veneers).
How dentistry patients in Carlsbad, CA benefit from biological therapies
- Biological therapies address oral problems in the least toxic manner possible.
- Treatment is focused on regaining and maintaining overall health.
- Biological therapies are highly personalized. Treatment combinations and protocols are tailored to the needs of the individual patient.
- Biological therapies optimize your body’s natural defenses and healing mechanisms, rather than suppressing the immune system.
- A biological approach is the safest treatment path for patients with fragile, compromised health.